Sunday, May 1, 2011

Best MLB Ballparks

In my opinion, there's no better sport to watch live than baseball. The sights and sounds are something that can only be experienced in person. I try to hit up at least one Major League Baseball game a year, especially if it involves my favorite team the Detroit Tigers. On Friday, I got my first chance this season as I made my debut trip to Cleveland to watch the Indians host the Tigers. The  night was a blast, since we upgraded to first row seats near the 1st base dugout. The actual game...well that's another story. After leading most of the evening, Detroit allowed Cleveland to tie it in the 8th and load the bases with no outs in the 9th. Carlos Santana proceeded to smash a walk-off grand slam and the rest was history. Despite the unhappy ending, it got me to thinking about my favorite MLB ballparks. I've seen my fair share over the years, and here's a list of my Top 5 current stadiums.



5.) Progressive Field (Cleveland Indians)- Might as well start with what's fresh in my mind. Although not one of the newer parks around, Progressive (or "The Jake" as it used to be called) has a good atmosphere. Before you even walk through the gates you can see a large chunk of the field which adds to the charm. The scoreboard may not have been state of the art, but the old school light bulbs gave it a carnival feel. Overall, a fun place to view a game.

4.) Nationals Park (Washington Nationals)- Just like Progressive, Nationals Park is very viewable from the outside street. In fact, you can walk right from the parking lot onto the concourse. One of the more recently built ballparks in the majors, the Nationals have a great new home with a cozy feel. The food at Nats Park is outstanding fueled by Ben's Chili Bowl, a DC staple.

3.) Comerica Park (Detroit Tigers)- A big upgrade over the old Tigers Stadium. Comerica is very modern park with some a nod to Tigers of old. A number Hall of Famers like Ty Cobb and Al Kaline are honored with statues and plaques visible from the field. Another nice feature is the thousands of tiger faces and paws built into the stadium which gives it a "Where's Waldo" vibe. I also love the fountains in left field that include a rotating GM car. 

2.) Camden Yards (Baltimore Orioles)- Although only 20 years old, Camden has a very cool retro look. Built on a former railyard, the O's decided to keep the old B&O Warehouse as a backdrop in right field. With skyline on the left and the warehouse on the right, this has my favorite facade of any stadium. Although the warehouse appears within reach of homeruns, it's actually only been hit once by Ken Griffey, Jr. in the 1993 Home Run Derby. Don't forget the food. Boog's BBQ (founded by former O's MVP Boog Powell) is absolutely delicious.

1.) Wrigley Field (Chicago Cubs)- The Granddaddy of them all. Every park that I go to automatically gets compared to Wrigley, which is pretty unfair. Built in 1914, it's the 2nd oldest park in the majors and the most ancient in this list. The old age only adds to Wrigley's immense charm. Where else can you find ivy growing on brick walls? It also features the best hot dog in the world (outside of Portillo's in downtown Chicago). The old school green scoreboard and seats are also unique to Wrigley. One other nice addition is the rooftop seats that rise beyond the outfield. Located in the heart of historic Wrigleyville, the atmosphere inside and out of the park is second to none. No wonder it's my #1.

Top parks I want to visit: Fenway Park, PNC Park, Yankee Stadium

No comments:

Post a Comment